VoIP Engineer II
DEPARTMENT: Operations – Network Management
JOB TITLE: VoIP Engineer II
REPORTING TO: NOC Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DATE PREPARED: April 2023
The VoIP Engineer II position is jointly responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Company’s Class 5 VoIP switching platforms, order provisioning and trouble ticket management. The VoIP Engineer II will analyze and resolve call-flow, hardware and software problems in a timely manner, and will provide reseller or end-user training where required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Resolves trouble reports from customers, vendors, and other companies.
- Monitors network performance and troubleshoots problem areas as needed.
- Provisions and maintains IP voice related services such as SIP lines and SIP trunks, Hosted services, Metaswitch CommPortal and EAS/DSS on Metaswitch soft switch.
- Pre-tests newly established circuits and coordinates customer cuts with vendors.
- Evaluates and tests new equipment, software and firmware, such as IP phones, ATAs and toolsets.
- Coordinates number porting request with carriers, resellers and Company LNP Specialists.
- Coordinates with vendors on installation of equipment and ensure calls are routed correctly.
- Works with Product Teams to develop and implement new products and services.
- Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies, training plans and procedures for NMC team members, resellers and end-users to follow.
- Provisions basic line services such as basic POTS, DID, ISDN and SS7 services.
- Coaches and mentors junior level team members for professional development.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Five (5) years of legacy, softswitch or related telecommunications experience are required.
- Must have strong knowledge of SIP messaging, digital switching technology, traffic engineering, telecom testing methodology, Central Office protection practices, and subscriber and trunk carrier systems.
- Must have a strong and proven ability to analyze, summarize and solve issues with VoIP services and SIP messaging.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Metaswitch 3510 soft switch and Calix DLC is preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Networking, IP Telecom technologies and terminology is preferred.
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN protocols, DHCP and DNS is preferred.
- Proven strong process and documentation skills are required.
- Customer Service – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to targeted customer base/market, building relationships and acting as internal company advocate.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated, passionate and creative team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Communication – able to effectively and persuasively express self verbally and in writing, using correct language and grammar in a professional, diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Organization & Time Management – able to work independently with minimal supervision, planning, scheduling and organizing professional schedule to complete actions within established deadlines, handling multiple priorities with strong attention to detail.
- Project Management – able to prepare a plan that achieves stated objectives, establish and meet project deadlines, modify plan to reflect changing priorities and successfully complete project.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
- Systems & Software – proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications.
- Typing/computer keyboard
- Verbal communication
- Utilize computer software (specified above)
- Written communication
- Retrieve and compile information
- Maintain records/logs
- Verify data and information
- Organize and prioritize information/tasks
- Operate office equipment
- Basic mathematical concepts (e.g. add, subtract)
- Sitting for extended periods
- Extended periods viewing computer screen
- Repetitive Motions
- Normal office environment
- Electrical current
- Proximity to moving mechanical parts
Saddleback is an “Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.” Preference will be given to a qualified Community Member, then a qualified Native American and then other qualified candidate.