Director of Planning & Engineering – Voice
JOB TITLE: Director of Planning & Engineering – Voice
REPORTING TO: VP of Operations
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DATE PREPARED: October 2022
Responsible for the overall design, architecture, engineering, deployment, maintenance, and support of the Metaswitch Voice network platform and voice infrastructure.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Overall design, architecture, engineering, deployment, maintenance, support, and internal reporting of the Metaswitch Voice network platform and infrastructure.
- Ensures the Voice network and infrastructure is extremely reliable, robust, secure and adheres to Regulations and Standards.
- Leads, manages and ensures the accountability of the voice infrastructure Team
- Works with the senior leadership team to ensure the strategic and tactical aspects of the Voice network Infrastructure requirements are developed and met or exceeded.
- Works closely with the Director of Network – IP Infrastructure, Network Support Manager, Regulation and Compliance Manager and Senior Level Management for operational support and maintenance.
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops detailed network planning designs to ensure that changes or additions conform to the current architecture and strategic direction.
- Develops capital requirements for network.
- Evaluates emerging technologies and analyzes their viability for implementation at Saddleback/Reinvent.
- Manages capacity planning for Voice Network
- Creates and develops the required management reports to measure performance.
- Provides support for future Voice technology solutions including technology, vendor selection, and project execution.
- Communicates detailed architectural designs and results from technology evaluations and pilots. Maintains a continually updated plan.
- Provides Sr. level Engineering support for Operations.
- Sets standards for network implementation and assures that these standards are adhered to with the assistance of other Operations teams.
- Provides technical services to Regulatory, as required.
- Manages network element compliance (EOL, Licensing, NG replacement/upgrade strategy, compatibility, etc.)
- Leads and directs the work of others.
- Drive organizational succession planning, capability and talent development.
- Review the organizational business performance against plans to measure achievements.
- Lead in the execution of business plans and strategies.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Eight (8) years of experience with voice networks including switching, traffic engineering, trunking, SS7, VoIP, and routing is required.
- Eight (8) years of experience with transport systems including Copper and Fiber technologies, deployments, and applications is required.
- Eight (8) years of experience in IP configurations, routing, switching, and applications is required.
- Proven experience with vendor negotiations is required.
- Proven and demonstrated experience with cost savings initiatives and capital budgeting is required.
- Demonstrated familiarity with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures is required.
- Ability to deploy, configure and manage a second Netsapiens platform
- Strategic Orientation – able to contribute to the overall strategy, culture and financial success of the company with specific expertise in strategic planning and execution.
- Leadership – has demonstrated success as an entrepreneurial, high energy, driven, hands-on leader. Possess expertise in accounting and finance strategies and methodologies, able to translate financial strategy into specific policies and procedures. Able to select, train, develop, coach, mentor and retain a highly motivated workforce.
- Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed strategic targets.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Communication – able to effectively and persuasively express self verbally and in writing, using correct language and grammar in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic and tactful manner.
- Analytical Problem-Solving & Decision Making – able to research, analyze, identify viable options, draw sound conclusions, present findings and make thoughtful recommendations considering overall risk and short-term and long-term impact.
- Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule and organize professional schedule to achieve strategic goals within or ahead of established time frames.
- Systems & Software – proficient level knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications.
- Typing/computer keyboard
- Verbal communication
- Utilize computer software (specified above)
- Written communication
- Retrieve and compile information
- Public speaking/group presentations
- Maintain records/logs
- Research, analyze and interpret information
- Verify data and information
- Investigate, evaluate, recommend action
- Organize and prioritize information/tasks
- Leadership and supervisory, managing people
- Operate office equipment
- Basic mathematical concepts (e.g. add, subtract)
- Advanced mathematical concepts (fractions, decimals, ratios, percentages, graphs)
- Sitting for extended periods
- Extended periods viewing computer screen
- Normal office environment
- Electrical current
Saddleback is an “Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.” Preference will be given to a qualified Community Member, then a qualified Native American and then other qualified candidate.